Remote online notarization (RON) is when a signer personally appears before the notary at the time of the notarization using audio-visual technology over the internet instead of being physically present in the same room.
What Do I Need to Get My Documents Notarized Online in Louisiana?
In order to complete an online notarization in Louisiana, you'll need the following:
- An original, unsigned document (Don't sign it before uploading! You must sign with the notary public).
- A computer, iPhone, or Android phone with audio and video capabilities.
- A valid government–issued photo ID. Find the list of acceptable forms of identification here.
- A U.S. social security number for secure identity verification.
Louisiana allows ONLY the following acts to be performed remotely:
- Taking an acknowledgment.
- Performing an oath or affirmation.
- Executing a jurat - for a signer to swear to or affirm the truthfulness of the contents of a document to a Notary or notarial officer.
The following SHALL NOT be executed by RON:
- Testaments or codicils thereto.
- Trust instruments or acknowledgments thereof.
- Donations inter vivos.
- Matrimonial agreements or acknowledgments thereof.
- Acts modifying, waiving, or extinguishing an obligation of final spousal support or acknowledgments thereof.
- Authentic Act - A document requiring witnesses